Zatarain's New Orleans Style Rice Pudding
This rice pudding is only 120 calories, 10 g of fat and 12 g of sugar per serving. All you do it add the box to 2 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 25 minutes. I tried it warm with a little bit of cinnamon on top (I know, I ate cinnamon by choice!) and it was delish. It's cooling in the fridge and I think I will try it again later cold :) This dessert wouldn't be an all the time occurrence, but every once in awhile as a treat it is pretty good for ya. I found this at HEB in the section with the pie crusts and marshmallow fluff when I was shopping for "shower food."
Annie Chun's Soup Bowls
I made 2 discoveries this week... 1) the diet section at the Signature Kroger and 2) these soup bowls in that section. I have tried the Udon and Pho so far. Each bowl is 230-280 calories. The noodles are already
cooked and there is a seasoning packet and a little freeze dried package of onions, mushrooms, and whatever else is in the soup. They contain no preservatives or MSG and are 100% natural! The portion was generous and filled me up. Since they are low cal I got some tofu (pictured on the right) that I am going to try putting in the hot and sour. I have never cooked with tofu and am pretty clueless about how to use it. Luckily, the package had a website on it, http://www.nasoya.com/ Needless to say I just spent the last hour reading about tofu. I am also going to try shrimp in the pho and cilantro just like at the Vietnamese restaurant. I also added soy and siracha too!
Check out their website, they look like they have some good products if you can find them in stores
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=26081&cgrfnbr=766961
Ceviche from El Rey
First, I want to apologize to anyone that does NOT live in Houston for getting your taste buds all worked up. For all you Yankee folk who don't know what ceviche is, here is Wikipedia's definition:
Ceviche[2] (also spelled cebiche or seviche)[3][4] is a seafood dish popular in the coastal regions of the Americas, especially Central and South America.[5] The dish is typically made from fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices such as lemon or lime and spiced with chilli peppers. Additional seasonings such as onion, salt, and pepper may also be added. Ceviche is usually accompanied by side dishes that complement its flavors such as sweet potato, lettuce, corn, or avocado.[6][7][8] As the dish is not cooked with heat, it must be prepared fresh to avoid the potential for food poisoning.[9]
Basically, it is white fish that is "cooked" by soaking it in lime juice. This particular dish had a mango pico de gallo in it also, was on a bed of mixed lettuce, had WHOLE avocado sliced on top and a "crown" of toasted chips.
Here is their website so you can find a one near you:
http://www.elreytaqueria.com/
Cookbook/Fitness Section at the Library
While I LOVE googling new recipes, there is something to be said about having a tactile version with a collection of them right in front of you with pictures and all! The book pictured above is about 3 inches thick and has become my nightly reading to put me to sleep. I know that makes me sound like a HUGE nerd, but Martha and I have alot in common (see post from March, 14). I also got 2 books about cooking (with recipes) by Julia Child and Bethany Frankel to learn new "techniques" too. I am going to hit up the fitness section again very soon. I have kinda started "training" a friend, AKA- letting him tag along with me to the gym, and I want to be informed in what I tell him.
The best part about this whole journey, which has turned into a full blown passion for health and fitness, is getting to share it with others. If you are reading this blog, then you at least have a little bit of interest in those things too. Therefore, I want to be able to share with you new techniques, ideas, and information that you didn't know before. One of MANY things my dad instilled in me was the desire to continually want to learn more, and that is what I promise to do :) I hope that you will continue to follow my blog and PLEASE share with me too.
Peace Out,
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment