Saturday, March 26, 2011

Favorite Find Friday

Okay...I know this is being posted a day late, but the past couple of days were crazy with field trips and I am just now having time to sit down in front of the computer!  Here are a few new food finds and one new recipe.
Hopefully they aren't the same as these!!
Mine look like these...













1) Chia Seeds: I found these at HEB in the bulk section.  Tosca Reno had a whole artice about them in Oxygen last month.  Basically they help with weight loss by keeping some of the food you eat from being absorbed into your system.  They cause you to feel fuller longer and keep you hydrated because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.  They also help to reduce blood pressure, contain Omega-3, and are easier to digest than flax seeds.  Sounds pretty good right?!  They also do not have a flavor or change the texture like flax seed (source: http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html).  According to this site http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-chia-seeds.htm Chia Pets are the sprouts of chia seeds...so I guess they are the same thing!  Either way, they have become a fixture in my daily...BAKED OATMEAL (see below, discovery #2)



2) Baked Oatmeal: So far I have only made Baked Blueberry Cream Cheese Oatmeal because it is AMAZING!  I am a fan of Jen Grothe on Facebook (search for the fan page for Recipes for Gals In Figure and Bodybuilding)  She has written a book called "75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal".  Here is the recipe and she has MANY more under her discussions. 

Baked Blueberry Cream Cheese Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving
Ingredients:

1/2 cup dry oats
1/8 t. baking powder
2 T liquid egg whites
5 t fat-free cream cheese (cut in)
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 t vanilla extract
sugar substitute to taste
dash cinnamon ( I don't use this)
1 cup water
1 t Chia Seeds

Directions:
Mix the above and pour into an oven-proof bowl. Bake in a 350 (I do 375) oven for 30 minutes.

Nutrition:
Calories 224
Calories from Fat 29.3
Total Fat 3.25g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 110mg
Total Carbohydrate 37.5g
Dietary Fiber 5.75g
Sugars 1g
Protein 13g


The container that you bake it in needs to be at least 2 cups.  I found this great soup mug from Target.  It is Corningware and even has a handle and a lid for easy transport to work.



3) Gourmantra Indian Meal Kit: This meal is ready in under 30 minutes, only requires 2 extra ingredients (chicken and half & half), is all natural and gluten free.  The kit makes 4 servings, each serving has only 210 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1 g fat total, and 5g protein.  Find in the ethnic aisle of the grocery store...so yummy!  I have only tried the Butter Chicken (which does not contain butter!) and it is great.  Try another variety (http://www.gourmantra.com/) and let me know how it is!

That's all for now.  I have 2 items from Shape Magazine I am on the hunt for.  Gotta keep the suspense up til next week ;)

Peach Out!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm anxious to try the blueberry oatmeal. I really enjoyed Ginghis Grill today. I ate the rest of my bowl tonight for dinner. Keep up the good work sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete